Friday, October 23, 2009

One year ago

I was walking in the pouring rain and freezing cold. It was day 1 of the Atlanta 3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer. When I decided to sign up it was something that I had been wanting to do for a while. I had every excuse and reason why not to do it in the past and I had simply run out of excuses and reasons. Luckily I had amazing friends by my side and we did it together, all 60 miles of it. From Alpharetta all the way down to the Georgia World Congress Center, we walked all of it. That's really where Bowling for Boobs came from. I needed to raise money for the walk and for my team, Tinky's Titty Trekkers. This years event was such a success I can't get over it. Everyone is having a hard time right now, we all know the economy sucks and everyone has had to tighten up a bit, the last thing I was expecting was for people to want to contribute to charity. But whether it's a good economy or bad, people are still being diagnosed with Cancer. I am without words to express how wonderful this year's event was. There is no way to explain the generosity and support without sounding trite or cliche so I won't try. All I will say is that is was an amazing event, and together we raised $14,000 for Susan G. Komen for the Cure! Thank you to everyone who helped out, who volunteered, who donated, who participated, all I can say is thank you! Today my heart goes out to all of the walkers of this year's 3-Day, they are doing a great thing. If you see them walking this weekend in Atlanta, give them a honk or something for support, I can't tell you how good it makes you feel when you are on mile 13 and feeling like you aren't sure what you got yourself into.

On Day One, It was pouring rain all day and we walked about 22 Miles


Trying to keep our feet dry with plastic bags inside our shoes...it didn't really help, actually it didn't help at all, our feet were pretty messed up.


Our Tents. Yes I slept in a tent. At least it was a pink tent and you know I had an air mattress! We got to decorate them so we created little driveways our of felt. We also had a sign outside our tent with the list of who we were walking for, in honor or in memory of.

That's me on Day 3...walking down Peachtree. Yes I have flowers over my boobs ;p


At the finish line inside the Georgia World Congress Center.


All of the walkers held up one shoe to honor the survivors as they walked into closing ceremonies, super emotional.

Why I walked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you did a great thing Niki!! It was an honor walking with you ;)